From Phil Kelly’s 2009 Space Wolves codex: “Sagas are intended to encourage players to develop some seriously cool names and stories for their Space Wolves characters. You’ll find that after a few games your heroes become a lot more interesting as they accrue personal histories of victory and (dare we say it?) defeat.”
Zeath’s Current and Past Exploits
March 2017: Zeath was reduced to a fine ash by an Eldar fire dragon unit during a raid on one of their maiden worlds. He spent almost two years in excruciating pain coalescing a new body. His unasked for and unwelcome boon is he will not stay dead until certain unknown conditions are fulfilled. There are vague reports of his exploits during this period but it is thought such tales are those of pretenders to his glory and name.
Khorne demanded a bounty of skulls and souls of Zeath in return for his life. So the rune priest duly set himself to sacrificing entire communities in order to summon khornate armies on a number of systems in the Santa Cruz sector. The daemons in turn rampage in Zeath’s name, fulfilling the space marine’s debt to the blood god.
Spring 2015: Zeath fears not the sun wolf!
Spring 2015: Zeath distinguished himself during a series of highly successful raids into the Farsight Enclaves after the legion’s attempts at diplomacy failed. (“What nice planets you people have, it sure would be a shame if anything happened to them.”) As a result he was promoted to a full Mystic, which is what Legion VI-13 calls its rune priests.
As a further honor and mark of my approbation as a Lady of Lupines and Chaos, I gifted Zeath with the status of being a painted model!
Circa 2013-14: Survived implantation of Canis Helix Type N, which also saw an increase in his psychic powers and capacity for physical regeneration. The process also has driven him somewhat mad where he is haunted by daemons both in his dreams and literally on the battlefield, which usually coincides when he is in the middle of hard fighting.
He did well in various skirmishes, raids, and battles and was eventually promoted to a sky claw sergeant. Not only did Zeath have a talent for jump infantry tactics, the young sky claws respected his daring and feared his anger so they more often than not would obey his orders. Happily, his orders were usually some variation on, “Kill them! Kill them all!”
Circa 2012: Zeath was a psyker on a Black Ship crippled and raided by ships from what is known in imperial records as Traitor Legion VI-13. When asked his name by his space marine captors/saviors, he said, “Zeath the Unforgotten,” but would never say to what the sobriquet referred. Not being ones to unnecessarily press into matters concerning a man’s private affairs, the space marines nodded and moved on with their invasive medical examinations.
Some Personal Notes
- Zeath is a level 1 psyker, level 2 if the “runes are right.” He will often have powers from either the Tempestas or Daemonology-Malefic disciplines, occasionally both.
- Note that he doesn’t actively summon daemons. They just sort of appear when he rages in battle. Blood with pour from his eyes, spikes will break out all over his flesh, which he ends up ripping out himself after the battle using a pair of pliers (too embarrassing to bother the medics about), and so on.
- Preferred war gear is power armor, runic axe, plasma pistol and jump pack. There is no way the ironsmiths will entrust him with anything better. With all of the teeth, charms, talismans and amulets he wears at all times, if he received a particularly favorable cast of the battle bones from the Invisible Seers then he’ll have “counts as” artificer armor nonetheless due to the power of his faith in forces he neither understands nor even has a name for.
- He loves the risk of discharging his plasma pistol and will do so even when it would be just as easy to throw a grenade. He’s been known to purposefully overload the weapon and throw it as an ersatz melta bomb. (Thus occasionally I’ll pay the points and include melta bombs and give his crazy tactic a chance of working.)
- On a personal note Zeath has three wives but no children. He had a pet fenrisian wolf but it turned into a blood thirster due to circumstances best not mentioned and he barely managed to kill it with his force axe while it was messily manifesting. The daemon ate his left hand but it grew back better than new with little suction cups on the fingertips. Such are the gifts of the Fates!