I painted some terminators a couple of years ago now. They were re-purposed Assault on Black Reach models I inherited, and then I magnetized the arms that weren’t already cemented on. So right in time for our last game I finished a magnetized Power Tentacle arm!
I did the crux terminatus on the shoulder pad a little differently this time too. When I first painted them I conceived that these guys were sort of “no nonsense” and went for a basic color scheme. So their armor is mechanicus standard gray with a black ink wash with the crux being the old charadon granite color. Looks ok, I guess, when you look at it three inches from your eyeball but on the table, when one is playing, it blends in too much and the whole model seems like maybe they are taking their spartan aesthetics just a bit too far.
So for the power tentacle pad I used fenris blue, drowned it in black ink, then relayered with blue. Highlighted with a bit of lothern blue and then a touch of white. I thought this might be a bit more noticeable and add a bit of color and interest while preserving my original ideas. I probably won’t bother to go back and redo the old guys, but going forward I think I like the new crux much better.
So I completed a unit of five Kromlech gnaws well over a year ago, but I recently found the first two pictures in my drafts folder and thought I might as well post them. Five is sort of the magic number (in addition to eight of course) because I use them as a stand in for flesh hounds of Khorne and that is the minimum number to form a pack of these gribblies.
The gnaw with the ring in his nose is the serious one of the group.
I wish Kromlech had more than six different sculpts of gnaws so I could buy more different looking ones and expand my pack of giant squig daemon thingies. I’ve used them in games a lot and they’ve died a lot (perhaps I should call them flesh hounds of Distraction?) and as expected massacred more than their share of imperial and xenos scum alike. I’m sure Khorne would approve for “Khorne cares not whe-” … well, you get the idea.
One thing I like about these guys is how happy they look, except for that one guy.
The third picture below is much later, from the most recent game of 40K I played in February 2017. They are pretty meaty beasts; I could almost see an ork, bloodletter, or human sorcerer riding one into battle. Maybe not the one with the ridge of dorsal spines though.
They always seem to end up in a conga line for some reason. Too bad they don’t have arms!
So I have one one gnaw left that I’ve never painted; the only one coincidentally who has a proper nose. I have avoided the official flesh hounds for a number of reasons. Foremost is because I don’t care for the daemon meets ceratopsian look. I figure at about $10 per model I should at least like the sculpts. Also, I’ve found GW’s resin to be very hit or miss in terms of quality.
Not sure if I’m going to need more flesh hounds, but if I do I still have the gnaw with a nose to paint as well as a box of chaos warhounds I put together but haven’t primed yet. For now though the small pack of five is fulfilling the role I want for my giant daemon dog grinning squig thingies. Lord Khorne and Lady Distraction are both well pleased!
I recently finished another mouse miniature from my stocks of Netherworld’s Edge miniatures I purchased back at a gaming convention in 2015. The background is a Doctor Seuss-like forest my friend’s daughter made and was kind enough to gift me with. Seems an appropriate setting for a party of mouse adventurers.
Boldly leading the way with sword and torch!
I thought the bases on the other three miniatures could have used a little more color to contrast the brown, so on this new guy I added a little bright green as well as a rock I picked out of my shoe at the gym.
The photo makes my newest mouse appear a bit more glossy than he is in person. As usual with metal miniatures I plan on using for gaming I brushed on one coat of glossy varnish and two matte coats. While I do like how they look (especially the bases) without the varnish, I have found it necessary to protect my metal miniatures after some hard-won experience with my metal, gretchin artillerists.
Posing with three other mice I painted some time ago.
These miniatures were originally produced for the Netherworld’s Edge game, and I bought them from Zombiemsith at Dundracon 2015 in San Ramon, California. So far I have only used them in as artillery mice in Warhammer 40K. For opponents who won’t have the verisimilitude of the game disrupted by substituting mice for goblins, they are about the same size and they do offer the advantage that my opponent won’t get my artillery goblins confused with the one or two squads of goblin infantry I often include in such games.