Thirteen Poxwalkers

I’ve always found thirteen to be a lucky number!

Today’s offering is a quick picture of my poxwalker mob as it stands so far: thirteen strong.  Since a minimum-sized mob is ten, and I started the month of June with less than ten, this completes Azazel’s June painting challenge.

For July I plan on completing more poxwalkers with the goal of finishing the full twenty, if not in July then certainly before the end of summer.

 

Advertisements

Poxwalkers by Charles Gao

Charles Gao, the mighty Chaos Lord of Ancynt Battles fame was kind enough to share some of his recent work with me: his mob of 20 poxwalkers.  I quite liked them so I thought I’d post them here.

Glad to see this worthy knows which way to hold an autogun!

Commissar Poxwalker of Orange?

I liked how the rotting bone-colored shoulder guard turned out.

Mob of twenty ready for bubblewrap and tarpit duties!

In the meantime, I’ve been chipping away at updating some of my blog pictures that were broken when Photobucket went to a pay-to-share-your-stuff model.  My plan is to finish with that before the end of 2017.

Also, I am pretty close to wrapping up my mob of ten plaguebearers.  My next post will be some pictures of the champion. I’m currently putting the finishing touches on the musician and the banner bearer and then I’ll make sure I didn’t miss giving any of my new rank-and-file guys their brief moment in the sun, and wrap it up with a group shot.

 

… and two more poxwalkers

I finished up two more poxwalkers, numbers five and six of the requisite twenty-strong mob from the boxed set.  I continued with the idea of having two general schemes:  the green ones with orange clothes and the reddish ones with yellow clothes.  That way I could use them as two units as well as one big mob.  In a bigger mob, they have a little variation makes them look a little less like they are in lockstep, but still somewhat unified.

One little trick I tried this time was using Vallejo rust wash around some of the open sores on the red-colored poxwalker.  I noticed that the areas I applied it to looked more inflamed without being bloody.  (Shows up better in person, as is often the case with my cell phone pictures.)  I haven’t tried the technique on the green ones yet, but perhaps I will if I remember.

For next time I’m hoping for another Nurgle trio since I have poxwalker seven all done except for the base, and number eight is about half done. The plaguebearers are no problem. They paint up much more quickly since they don’t wear clothes or carry much around other than swords and the burden of their self-imposed accountancy of Nurgle’s Gifts throughout the universe. I imagine the musician and the standard-bearer will take some more effort though, once I turn my brush in their direction.

I’ve also added a small project to my queue painting up some old metal models I found in a game store bits box.  I scrounged almost enough for a little warband of sorts. Hoping to do some green stuff work on one of them this weekend.

A Second Nurgle Trio

Today’s offering to the resident Great Unclean One is a second triumvirate of Nurgle troops to go with the first trio I finished back in early September.  Only twenty-four more models to go and both squads will be done.  A good thing neither Nurgle nor Mortarion expect their fetid warriors to be speedy.  I’ll be in real trouble though when I start painting daemonettes!


I’m pleased with how the left guy’s back pustules turned out.  I thought dry brushing some black and then white added a little interest.

So I decided to try something different with the maggots on the fellow to the left this time instead of the traditional well-fed white look.  I did a yellow wash and then glossed them up to represent a somewhat rarer sub-species of carrion crawler.  They turned out alright I thought, but in hindsight I probably should have put them on the guy with the orange loincloth instead.

A second plaguebearer completes this offering’s trio.  Nothing too innovative here, though I did experiment with glossy Nuln Oil to darken up some of the wounds.  I was also going to have pus weeping from the daemon’s single eye, but I didn’t like the way it ended up looking.  So I decided it was weeping blood instead and made the change.

I wanted to add something a little different to his sword too so I watered down some bright yellow and then dry brushed white onto the tip.  I was going for a somewhat chalky texture, so I used tap water instead of Lahmian Medium.  Could be poison, could be a fungus growing on the end of his blade, could be a paste concocted from the bearer’s own rotting innards.  Perhaps all of that and more!

Next time (surprise!) I’m planning on posting yet another Nurgle trio.  This will continue until either both squads are done or I get tired of painting them and decide to throw some pink horrors into my queue.