Blue Horrors Finished

So I finished painting my ten blue horrors.  Now I have to start on my pink horrors, though some plaguebearers and poxwalkers seemed to have wandered their way into my painting queue.

A group shot with their brimstone friends.

I made each horror’s knife different so I could play around with various ideas.

Advertisements

Blue Horrors!

So with my brimstone horrors done, I started working my way up the Tzeentch troop ladder with these blue guys.  I like how you can mix and match your horrors within a single unit now.  Fun and colorful, plus when a list comes in at some odd number a few points below the total we are playing at, I can toss in another horror and all is well.

I used some Blood God paint to try and hide the mistake I made on the one with the red tongue.

I painted tiny A’s on some of them to stand for Mark of Ann.  They are so small that I doubt anyone will ever notice them in games, but I’m sure the Great Conspirator would approve of such small, unnoticed details.  As for the plantar pink smiley face on the horror below on the right, I didn’t really have anything particular in mind.  It just seemed the thing to do at the time after I finished highlighting his tongue.

The “A” on their legs stands for “Mark of Ann!”

I’m almost done with the mob of 10 blue horrors.  After that I’ll begin work on the pink horrors next as well as some plaguebearers and poxwalkers.  Since I favor all of the gods more or less equally, my plan is to paint up at least one troops choice for each of the four Chaos Gods.

 

 

Brimstone Horrors

I finished painting a unit of brimstone horrors recently. I thought they were cute little imps and I’ve always had a soft spot for gribbles that combine the best aspects of ineffectuality and malevolence. (It isn’t a coincidence that the first unit I finished painting when I first started 40K were grots!)

I experimented with a few different looks before I settled on the one I liked best, which was not too heavy on the red, and a green wash for the eyes, mouth and open part on their backs. As is often the case with my cell phone pictures, the green shows up much better in person than in the photos.

I decided to paint the brimstones first because I knew the temptation would be too great to use a bunch of unpainted models in games if I started with the pink horrors what with their splitting rules.  This way, working backward with these guys first, then the blues, and finally the pinks I would be able to avoid this sorry state of affairs and not fall prey to the machinations of Slaanesh!

So these pictures are the obligatory post-battle For the Daemons Back Home photo opportunity. They spent most of the battle strategically hugging the back edge of my deployment zone in such a way that they could target either flank with their miserable psychic power, anticipating the possible arrival of a couple of outflanking Leeman Russ tanks.

The lumbering behemoths never arrived, I’m sure due to the deterrent effect of my stalwart imps. At least that is what they are telling themselves as they prepare for their next encounter.

My next painting projects, so far as Chaos goes, are a unit of blue horrors and finishing up the daemon prince I’ve been picking at off and on (mostly off) since 5th edition!